Sunday, November 13, 2011

Technology in the Classroom



Last year my school was able to purchase net books, smart boards, and new computers.  Like many teachers I was extremely excited to have these tools.  As a staff we were imagining all the instructional opportunities we could give students in the classroom.  We had dreamy eyes picturing how advanced this technology would push our students.

Now a year later, as I have had some time to use this equipment my eyes are not as dreamy.  I have studied technology and have picked up many ideas through twitter and colleague’s at Drake. My knowledge of technology has increased, and now as I think of technology in classrooms I have a more focused eye.  Good teachers will use technology effectively.  I question if all of these new gadgets are being used to instruct or distract students. 

As a student plays a math game that resembles an arcade game, where the student is flying or driving a vehicle through correct math problems is it about the math or is it about the game?  If the answer is right or wrong the student will still get the opportunity to play the game.  Observing this in the classroom all of the students are engaged, but is it the type of engagement that can link to increased achievement?  In this case a teacher directly instructing students is likely more beneficial. 

Other classrooms and students are able to utilize technology for more on-line learning.  More accelerated student are able to work faster.  This is a great tool that allows for differentiation.  But I question if writing something on a piece of paper will give students a more emotional connection to learning rather than typing and reading on a machine?

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy technology and am finding ways every day to use it in the classroom.  I use more technology with students today than I ever have before.   I am using edmodo with students for on line discussions, power point presentations to demonstrate learning, and on line programs as bookflix for supplemental learning.  It is important, as a focused educator that I am constantly relating technology to achievement, and asking the question how will this help my students succeed?  Would students benefit more from paper and pencil or computers with this concept?  Technology is great but we still need to keep an eye focused on increased achievement.   

No comments:

Post a Comment