First Weekend Class!
This poem relates my thoughts adapted from I’m Being Swallowed by a Boa Constrictor by Shel Silverstein
I am being swallowed by modern technology!
Modern technology
Modern technology
And I don’t like it very much!
Oh no it swallowed my mojo
Oh me it swallowed my identity
Oh fiddle it’s a 140 character riddle
Oh heck which site do I need to check?
Oh dread, it’s up to my (gulp)
And now I am completely consumed by technology!
Technology is a marvel and a curse! I cannot give up texting or the Internet. I now text more and talk less. I want to use more technology in my classroom to enhance learning. But I also have concerns about technology as a learning tool, is technology being used to educate or to entertain students?
After this weekend’s class I feel swallowed by technology. Twitter and blogging, are areas where I had little knowledge prior to this weekend’s class. I am concerned about having my work posted on the Internet. The web is littered with failed or dormant blogs, that is likely the same fate for my blog. The great thing about the Internet is it gives everyone a microphone; the terrible thing about the Internet is it gives everyone a microphone.
Love the microphone concept... and as you already know, I share your concerns of social media. My biggest concern is, "what if I become addicted to such techy features?" In my opinion, personal relationships and face-to-face interactions are more meaningful than a status update that nosy people wish to check (and then repeat to people in their lives - pathetic). I don't have twitter on my phone... there's a fine line between being "tuned in" and "consumed." I refuse to be the second...
ReplyDelete